Tutorial: Kaffe Fusion Blanket

Tutorial: Kaffe Fusion Blanket

Tutorial: Kaffe Fusion Blanket

The 'make it up as you go along'

blanket.

Materials:

• 48x Charm Squares (5"x5" cotton fabric)
  • Sewing Machine
  • Iron
  • Thread
  • Crochet yarn/ Thick thread for blanket stitch
  • Yarn
  • Hook (size appropriate for your chosen yarn)

Click here for Crochet Pattern

For the crochet edge:

I used Fibranatura Cottonwood (Green/41103) with a 3mm hook.

Tutorial: Kaffe Fusion Blanket

Charm Square Preparation

Step 1.

a) Organise your squares into 24 sets (set = 1x front & back square)

b) Arrange your sets into your final layout.

Step 2.

a) Take a square set & place fabric RIGHT SIDES together

b) Using 0.5cm seam allowance, sew sides together leaving a small gap

c) Turn the squares RIGHT SIDES out (through small gap)

d) Sew the small gap closed.

e) Iron

* Repeat until you have 24 sewn squares.

N.B  RIGHT SIDES = patterned sides

Tutorial: Kaffe Fusion Blanket

Charm Square Topstitch

Step 3.

a) Topstitch all edges with 0.5 seam allowances

b) Tidy up threads

Tutorial: Kaffe Fusion Blanket

Blanket Stitch

Step 4.

a) Using the Top Stitch seam as a guide,

Blanket Stitch along all sides at 1cm intervals.

b) Tie off

N.B This pattern was made up as I went along,

so you may find that the 1cm interval will fall short in places,

especially at the corners  – THAT'S OKAY!

Click here Blanket Stitch Instructions

incl. 1x (sc) into each corner

b) Slip Stitch (Sl st) to join the base line

c) Chain Stitch (ch) x3 to prepare for Row 2

Tutorial: Kaffe Fusion Blanket

Row 2.

a) Double Crochet (dc) into the next two (sc), (ch)x1,

(dc)x3  in to next three (sc).

*Repeat until you reach a corner;

b) (dc)x3 into the corner (sc),

*Repeat a) until you have completed all sides.

c) Slip Stitch (Sl st) to join Row 2.

d) Chain Stitch (ch) x3 to prepare for Row 3.

Tutorial: Kaffe Fusion Blanket

Row 3.

a) *Repeat pattern for Row 2

making sure your (dc)x3 covers the gap created by the chain stitches (ch)

in Row 2.

(see pattern)

b) Slip Stitch (Sl st)ends togethers

c) Chain (ch) x1 to prepare for Row 4.

Tutorial: Kaffe Fusion Blanket

Row 4.

a) Single Crochet (sc) into every stitch in Row 3.

b) Slip Stitch (Sl st) & tie off.

Tutorial: Kaffe Fusion Blanket

Joining Charm Squares

Working in rows, Whip Stitch two squares (RIGHT SIDES FACING)

together until you have yourself a blanket.

Click here for Whip Stitch instructions

60 Comments on Tutorial: Kaffe Fusion Blanket

1. Fiona
    January 28, 2012 at 7:40 pm (3 years ago)

Great tutorial, Heidi. I love that blanket. This project seems like it would be relatively quick to make, which means it may stand a chance of being one of those projects on my list that actually gets made at some point!

2. Lionesslady
    January 28, 2012 at 9:45 pm (3 years ago)

Thank you soooo much for sharing the way you have done this! Love it and will totally be using your tutorial! Thanks again.

3. meeta
    January 29, 2012 at 1:47 pm (3 years ago)

Thanks a ton. I have been eyeing that lovely, gorgeous blanket of yours. Sooooooooooooooo generous of you to share. Thanks again.

4. Sewing Daisies
    January 29, 2012 at 3:49 pm (3 years ago)

You are all very welcome! Sorry fot taking so long to do one…and it being rough in places…:-D
    xh

5. Michelle
    January 30, 2012 at 11:28 am (3 years ago)

What a lovely blanket, and such lovely colours too. I will certainly be adding this to my “to Do” list (which is getting very long). Thank you for sharing :)

6. alisonb2
    January 30, 2012 at 8:03 pm (3 years ago)

Came along at the right time. My sister and I were talking about all the squares Mum cross stitched for us and we have decided to make some cushions by crocheting them together. You must have known!!

7. Freda
    April 5, 2012 at 12:52 am (3 years ago)

Making crochet blankets for my Gr-grandbabies as they come along. Greatful for a new idea. Found on Pinterest, thankfully!

8. Sewing Daisies
    April 5, 2012 at 4:52 pm (3 years ago)

@Freda, I am so glad you have enjoyed this turotial. Your family are very lucky to have you!
    xh

9. Laurel Larsen
    April 26, 2012 at 3:49 am (3 years ago)

I just finished this blanket in bright primary prints with white crochet borders and I really loved making it. I have put a picture of it on my ravelry account (llarsen101) and on my pinterest board (I did make this… Laurel Larsen.) Thank you so much for the tutorial. I can see more crib blankets in my future, as well as lap blankets and maybe even a coverlet!

10. Sewing Daisies
    April 26, 2012 at 12:53 pm (3 years ago)

Hey there Laurel,
    I have just checked out your blankets – it’s gorgeous!
    Your chosen colour scheme is perfect for it….I am now thinking I should make another one :-)
    xh

11. Sunnybec
    June 9, 2012 at 5:53 am (3 years ago)

Hi Heidi, I love your blanket and really interested in doing one, can you tell me how many balls of Cottonwood you used on yours?

12. susy wire
    June 9, 2012 at 7:29 am (3 years ago)

Wow,i love this job!! Is amazing!

13. Vickie E
    June 10, 2012 at 12:22 am (3 years ago)

excellent tutorial! love the idea…

14. lea-ann
    June 10, 2012 at 3:51 am (3 years ago)

Do you have any idea how much yarn was used?

15. Amanda Rose
    June 12, 2012 at 12:13 pm (3 years ago)

I can’t wait to try this! When you sewed your little fabric squares right sides together, then turn inside out, did you sew the hole closed by hand or just go around the outside by machine?
    Amanda Rose

16. Sewing Daisies
    June 12, 2012 at 5:59 pm (3 years ago)

Hey there Amanda Rose,
    Thank you for stopping by. In answer to your question, I just machined very close to the edge of the hole (it’s a small opening).
    You can actually see where I have done it in one of the photos (5th photo down).
    I think hand sewing would give your blanket a very nice finish especially if you plan to gift or sell it.
    xh

17. Kate
    June 14, 2012 at 8:49 am (3 years ago)

I also am interested in how much yarn was used for the crocheting of this project…..please let us know!
    We are anxious to begin!
    Thanks much!

18. Sewing Daisies
    June 14, 2012 at 9:13 am (3 years ago)

hey there! Thank you for your query about the yarn.
    I have had a little look for my old notes but seem to have gone wandering. I am not certain but 8 balls seem to spring to mind.
    Sorry I couldn’t be much help – Heidi

19. Sandy
    June 25, 2012 at 9:28 pm (3 years ago)

I just saw this pattern and it is awesome – combining two of my favorites – I am in heaven. Thank you. I am so glad I found your site!!!!!

20. Rosa
    June 28, 2012 at 10:56 pm (3 years ago)

Love this and have joined the Flickr group:-)

21. Robin in New Jersey
    July 10, 2012 at 5:18 am (3 years ago)

I LOVE this idea. Thank you so much for sharing. I sew and do embroidery and my 16 yr. old loves to crochet. This would be a good project for us to do together!

22. Sewing Daisies
    July 11, 2012 at 10:41 am (3 years ago)

…you should definitely be able to whip through this in no time between the two of you!
    I can’t wait to see the finished, please send me a picture when you do.
    xh

23. Tabitha
    July 31, 2012 at 4:32 am (3 years ago)

Just getting started on the crochet part of my blanket. Approx. How much yarn did you use? I have some discontinued yarn I was thinking of using, but don’t want to run out mid-blanket.

24. Sewing Daisies
    July 31, 2012 at 9:47 am (3 years ago)

Hey there Tabitha,
    Thank you for stopping by Sewing Daisies.
    In answer to your answer to your question; I think I used around 8 balls, but I can’t find my original notes to confirm.
    I recommend that you make one square with your yarn to see how much you will need, especially if you aren’t using cotton.
    cheers H

25. Jess @ Spool and Spoon
    August 9, 2012 at 1:36 am (3 years ago)

This is GORGEOUS. I love the colors. Found it on pinterest and had to visit your site right away. Thanks for sharing such a detailed tutorial. I’m definitely putting this on my to-do list.

26. Sewing Daisies
    August 13, 2012 at 3:56 pm (3 years ago)

Hey there Jess!
    Thank you for stopping by Sewing Daisies. I have just had a sticky beak around your blog (Spool & Spoon), and it’s gorgeous!
    I look forward to seeing your next project.
    xh

27. Jessica
    September 9, 2012 at 4:17 am (3 years ago)

This is fantastic! I saw it, and started on it right away! I just happened to have a ton of fabric on hand! my squares are all purple with stars on them, and the crochet will be in a pretty grey color. Very pretty! i’m just stop stitching all my squares now! (which is my least favorite part. I hate top stitching! :-/)

28. Sewing Daisies
    September 10, 2012 at 10:26 am (3 years ago)

@ Jessica – I love the sound of your blanket(purple with stars), I can’t wait to see it!
    If you have any questions please feel free to email me.
    xh

29. Bambina Pearls
    September 12, 2012 at 6:36 pm (3 years ago)

Köszönöm szépen ezt az szépséget! Jön a tél és valami hasonlót szerettem volna készíteni a maradék anyagokból, mert már sok van és ez csodás ötlet a felhasználására!

30. Sewing Daisies
    September 14, 2012 at 9:06 am (3 years ago)

Hey there Bambina Pearls,
    Thank you for stopping by, this is a perfect winter project especially if you have leftover yarns and fabrics to use up.
    Please let me know how you go with this…
    xh

31. HBM
    September 18, 2012 at 6:49 am (3 years ago)

I saw this via pinterest I like that you matched the blanket stitch with the top stitching. Have you heard of a skip stitch blade? It is a great way to make holes to crochet right into. I use it with fleece because it doesn’t fray you just make the holes and start crocheting into them.

32. Sewing Daisies
    October 3, 2012 at 12:16 pm (3 years ago)

Wow! Your blanket is gorgeous, I love your stitched butterflies!!
    xxh

33. Kaja
    January 29, 2013 at 11:36 pm (2 years ago)

So cute! I totally need to do this!

34. Michelle
    February 2, 2013 at 9:06 am (2 years ago)

Thank you so much for this beautiful pattern and instructions. Hoping this will be my next big project! I love it!

35. Nicki de Jong
    February 17, 2013 at 3:47 pm (2 years ago)

Just finished my first attempt and quite pleased with the results!

36. Sewing Daisies
    February 20, 2013 at 5:54 am (2 years ago)

Brilliant Nicki – do you have any photos? I would love to see your work.
    xh
    [email protected]

37. Kristin
    March 2, 2013 at 2:56 pm (2 years ago)

I fell in love with this from the moment I saw it. I have been concentrating these days on using up old scraps and “upcycling”. I started a fusion blanket and am following your instructions. So excited about how it is turning out. I have an account on Ravelry where I posted this as an ongoing project. You have been given credit for the pattern and it links back to your page. Stop by and take a look at my Krazy version of your absolutely gorgeous fusion blanket…… almost halfway done with the blanket stitching and crochet around the blocks but will post more as I go. Enjoy….. (i think you have to be a member to see this page though)EXCELLENT site and worth signing up if you haven’t already: http://www.ravelry.com/projects/tattoodwaitress/kaffe-fusion

38. Jess
    March 7, 2013 at 9:21 am (2 years ago)

Here’s a tip for closing up the little gaps that were left after you turned your fabric right side out. I just fold the material in (it will want to automatically). Iron the entire square making sure the fabric stays folded then do your top stitching. Easy.

39. Shelby
    April 8, 2013 at 12:42 pm (2 years ago)

Amazing! I want to try it with my kids’ baby clothes. I need to practice the stitches a bit, but it is beautiful. You are very gifted to think this up.

40. Maria Osborne
    April 30, 2013 at 12:53 am (2 years ago)

I have to comment beautiful illustration and the instructions are great…just finished one square LOVE IT!!!!

41. nancy s
    May 21, 2013 at 11:39 pm (2 years ago)

great site ty for instructions. beautiful work.

42. Barbara Keese
    May 26, 2013 at 1:03 am (2 years ago)

I love this…it combines my two favorite things…fabric and crocheting…thanks!!!!

43. Sandy Gray
    May 26, 2013 at 1:04 am (2 years ago)

So very cute. Much cuter than the old granny squares! Cute idea great tutorial.

44. Cynthia
    May 26, 2013 at 3:02 am (2 years ago)

You are super and this is right up my alley. Thank you very much. I only wish I’d thought of it first. lol

45. Nicki Lee
    May 26, 2013 at 3:58 am (2 years ago)

Thank you for sharing this FABULOUS idea with us. I have been looking for something different to do that would incorporate using my fabric stash – saw this and immediately knew I HAVE to do it! Grrrrreat tut!!!

46. [email protected]
    June 2, 2013 at 1:56 pm (2 years ago)

Just found this post on my Facebook page and I gotta say, this is a great idea and so is this site!!! Great job sweetie and I’ve passed this on to friends. Thanks so much for your creativity. Looking forward to more… Thanks, Michele Willand

47. Sewing Daisies
    June 4, 2013 at 9:03 am (2 years ago)

Thank you Michele (& everyone else) for your lovely feedback. I hope you enjoy making your ‘Fusion Blanket’. Please send me photos of your work – I love seeing other people’s versions.
    xh

48. Michelle Wray
    June 5, 2013 at 3:30 pm (2 years ago)

I saw this pattern while looking for other baby crocheting ideas and wanted to make this project for a baby girl. I brought quilted pink squares and other baby material and apply light weight fusion to give is some shape. I have found some adorable and very soft baby yard to crochet all the pieces together. thanks for great instructions

49. Abiyeler
    June 12, 2013 at 12:07 am (2 years ago)

The informations are so lovely and so usefull so thank you very much. Be sure i will use all of them keeping in my mind.Have a goog luck.

50. Quiltjane
    June 19, 2013 at 1:51 pm (2 years ago)

This is a great idea. I made one using hexagons and chain stitch instead of blanket stitches a while ago.

51. [email protected]
    July 15, 2013 at 3:09 am (2 years ago)

I was excited to see this pattern. When I was in college my mom make two bed sized quilts using this technique. She used crochet thread to put hers together. The pattern was in a Norwegian ladies magazine. Mine are in a blue and white pattern and we still use them today. (I went to college in the seventies), I’m going to make then using your pattern. Thanks so much. I like things I can “take along” to work on as I have time. I can see baby quilts done like this. Thanks.

52. [email protected]
    September 14, 2013 at 7:02 am (2 years ago)

I’m in love with this blanket….just gorgeous!!!! Great tutorial….my question is when you do the blanket stitch did you go thru both pc of fabric? Tutorials I have seen show going in between when there are two pcs of fabric

53. Sheila
    September 17, 2013 at 8:47 am (2 years ago)

How big did this turn out? How many squares across and down? Also, IT IS ONE OF THE PRETTIEST I’VE SEEN! Thanks so much, I am inspired to make this for my daughter for Christmas!!

54. Sewing Daisies
    September 19, 2013 at 10:51 am (2 years ago)

I often just ‘wing it’ during my projects, so I worked though both pieces of fabric.
    The other way sounds great. Perhaps try both methods on some scrap fabric to see which look you prefer?
    cheers H
    p.s please let me know how it goes.

55. Sewing Daisies
    September 19, 2013 at 10:58 am (2 years ago)

Hey there Sheila,
    I used 48 charm squares (24 when sewn up) to make my version, along with the crochet border, the blanket measured approximately 104cm x 70cm.
    If you wanted a larger blanket you could try larger squares and thicker yarn.
    cheers H

56. JUDY WERTSCH
    March 13, 2015 at 3:54 am (2 months ago)

IS IT POSSIBLE FOR ME TO USE SOME ANTIQUE SQAURES MY MOTHER-IN-LAW CANDLEWICKED FOR ME IN THE 70’S…THEY ARE EMBROIDERED ON AN OFF WHITE COTTON….AND ARE 13 X 13 WITH A BORDER SEW AROUND THE EDGE…TO MAKE THEM 15 INCHES SQUARE……….
    SHE MADE THEM INTO A QUILT FOR ME BUT THE MATERIAL SHE USED TO STUFF IT WITH DISCINAGRATED AND I HAVE TO PULL IT APART TO TAKE ALL THAT POWDER OUT………..HELP……