Crochet: Babouska Rose Blanket

Crochet: Babouska Rose Blanket

‘Babouska Rose’ Blanket

is a little crochet project, I have been tinkering with

over winter.

Inspired by the baby blanket

my grandmother Inge made for me when I was born,

I decided to make one too.

Crochet: Babouska Rose Blanket

Measuring just 45 x 70 cm,

this baby (crib) blanket is really

‘Quick & Easy’ to make.

Crochet: Babouska Rose Blanket

To make the ‘Babouska Rose‘ blanket,

I crocheted 24 flower granny squares using

Rico Creative yarns  (with a 3.5mm hook).

I finished each granny square with a single crochet border,

and joined them all up using the same

single crochet stitch method that I used with my

Nacho Cushion.

T o pretty up the blanket edge some more I added a row of chain stitches

*SC, 3CH, SC*

Super easy!

Crochet: Babouska Rose Blanket

Even the project naming process was easy.

I usually spend forever trying to think up memorable project names,

but this time was different.

Thanks to my chosen colour scheme.

Crochet: Babouska Rose Blanket

Red + Brights

=

Gypsy Caravans + Russian Nesting Dolls

which

=

Babouska Rose

That was surprisingly easy to explain.

Crochet: Babouska Rose Baby Blanket

Turquoise/Sky Blue: 36
Pistachio: 41
Mint: 45

Sewing Daisies - Sign off

The inconvenient truth:

Hi!

Thank you so much for stopping by Sewing Daisies and checking out some of my crochet blog posts, it’s great to hear from you. I thought I would post a little update regarding this pattern as a number of people have requested further written instructions.

Sorry, but there are no further instructions other than those you find on the blog post.

The main reason for this is because I am a self taught crocheter…from Japanese crochet books (symbols & images). Working from symbols and photos is all I know. I have tried to understand and work from standard written patterns, but I just can’t do it.

So unfortunately all I can offer is a mix of symbols and vague written instruction.

If you have never tried working from symbols, I highly recommend checking out this post on

Annie’s Craft Store

it covers the groundwork in an easy to understand format.

52 Comments on Crochet: Babouska Rose Blanket

1. Rachel
    October 3, 2012 at 3:12 pm (4 years ago)

So beautiful! I love the flower layers and the colours are so vibrant and are just lovely. You’ve done a wonderful job!

2. Jenelle
    October 3, 2012 at 5:00 pm (4 years ago)

Beautiful! I really enjoy making these types of flowers, but I had no clue what to do with them once they were finished. I love this blanket! I think I will have to give this a try. 🙂

3. Sewing Daisies
    October 3, 2012 at 5:27 pm (4 years ago)

Thank you so much Rachel for your lovely feedback…I love it’s vibrancy too.
    xh

4. Sewing Daisies
    October 3, 2012 at 5:28 pm (4 years ago)

Thank you Jenelle! You should definitely make this – it’s really easy to make.
    xh

5. Fiona (KnitKnatKnotUK)
    October 4, 2012 at 5:06 am (4 years ago)

Absolutely stunning, gorgeous yarn and colour choice and lovely pattern. Stunning, congratulations! Fiona

6. Amy
    October 4, 2012 at 4:40 pm (4 years ago)

Oh my days I love love love this.

7. Karin
    October 4, 2012 at 9:46 pm (4 years ago)

I’m in l♥ve! This is a stunning blanket.
    I’ve made one square and blogged about it, just to recommend your pattern.
    Thank you for sharing!
    X Karin

8. Sewing Daisies
    October 5, 2012 at 12:26 pm (4 years ago)

Wow! that was fast, keep this up you will be done by the end of next week. I have just been to check you square out and it look fantastic!
    xh

9. Emma
    October 5, 2012 at 8:24 pm (4 years ago)

Beautiful!

10. manu
    October 9, 2012 at 10:11 pm (4 years ago)

Thank you for sharing !!! it’s delicious!!!
    Manu

11. Alison
    October 20, 2012 at 10:17 am (4 years ago)

OMG Heidi! Just Gorgeous!! So beautiful – Love it!

12. lee
    October 28, 2012 at 9:31 am (4 years ago)

thank you so much for this– it reminds me of one of the first afghans that I made so many years ago, but your colors are so much more beautiful! a job very well done! gorgeous. love your blog.

13. Ann DeFelice
    November 21, 2012 at 7:35 am (4 years ago)

Could you please tell me how I go about getting instructions to make the Baboushka rose blanket? Thank you

• Georgia
      February 8, 2015 at 7:16 am (2 years ago)

Do you know where I can find a written pattern for this beautiful afghan ?
      Thank you !

14. [email protected]
    November 21, 2012 at 10:24 am (4 years ago)

So beautiful! I love the colors that you used! Did you use Rico creative cotton aran?
    I think I will have to make one as well =)
    Thanks for the inspiration
    Sol

15. Sewing Daisies
    November 22, 2012 at 9:40 am (4 years ago)

That’s the stuff!

16. [email protected]
    November 22, 2012 at 8:59 pm (4 years ago)

Thank you very much! You are really kind!

17. Amy in NY
    November 25, 2012 at 1:29 pm (4 years ago)

What a lovely design! I love the color scheme, too. I am going to give this one a try; would you mind sending me the Japanese pattern, too, as an extra help?
    I love your blog — am constantly inspired by your beautiful work. Thanks for sharing!

18. Antoinette
    November 29, 2012 at 4:13 am (4 years ago)

Hi there I love this piece. My cousin just had a baby and I would love to make it for her. But I’m not sure I’ll understand how to do it by just using the motif above. I was wondering if you can send me the written instructions. You do beautiful work!!!!!!

19. barnicles
    November 29, 2012 at 10:59 pm (4 years ago)

This is amazing! i might try it 🙂
    Barnicles

20. Sonja
    December 7, 2012 at 10:11 pm (4 years ago)

Dear SD,
    What a beautiful blanket. I would love to make the blanket for my 7 weeks old daughter but i cannot read the pattern. Would you be so kind to send me the japanese pattern and explanation too?
    That would be great.
    Sonja

21. carol wilkinson
    December 17, 2012 at 6:51 am (4 years ago)

I would love to try this pattern for a baby shower I am going to next month…I used to have a pattern very similiar to this one but sad to say I am unable to find it…would you be so kind as to share the written instructions..if so, would you send them asap so that I can get it finished by the 19th of January…thanks so much

22. Mirjam
    January 2, 2013 at 4:25 am (4 years ago)

Hello,
    What a lovely bright blanket! It would be great to make this for my sister, she having her first baby in may but I don’t understand the crochet motif 🙁
    Can you sent me also the full Japanese pattern with a link to an explanation for the crochet symbols.
    Greetings,
    Mirjam from Holland

23. Anna
    January 3, 2013 at 3:59 am (4 years ago)

Really beautiful blanket! Fouls you pelare send me the Pattern. I think I have to do one of my own. Love the colours!

24. Jenny
    January 12, 2013 at 2:33 pm (4 years ago)

So beautiful! Can you please email me the pattern ([email protected]) I’m afraid I don’t understand the symbol of the single crochet inside the cirles??

25. Becky Beighley
    January 15, 2013 at 5:31 am (4 years ago)

I really love this, and it’s just in time for my friends who are having babies! But like other commenters, I don’t know how to read the motif! Could you please e-mail me the instructions/pattern? Thanks so much!

26. lynn
    January 24, 2013 at 10:55 pm (4 years ago)

Beautiful blanket indeed, I have started on one of my own. I see you are inundated with requests for the pattern, LOL. Here is a link to a similar rose granny square I found on YouTube, it is not my video and the credit goes to the lovely woman in the video
    I hope this helps, Lynn

27. Cassandra
    January 25, 2013 at 12:19 pm (4 years ago)

Gorgeous blanket! I fell in love as soon as I saw it! I’d like to try to make one for myself and was wondering if you recall the yardage used of each color. I’d like to be sure I get all the same dye lot when I purchase the yarn. Was this made from cotton? The stitch definition is very clear. Wonderful blog – I really enjoy following your projects!
    I apologize if this post is duplicated. My computer died when I first tried posting 🙂

28. Sewing Daisies
    January 26, 2013 at 8:06 pm (4 years ago)

Hey there Cassandra, Thank you for stopping by Sewing Daisies.
    I used Rico Creative Cotton (Aran) for this blanket.
    Unfortunately I can’t help you with the yardage as I didn’t write down any notes (I always forget to make them!)
    Sorry!
    xh

29. Martine
    January 30, 2013 at 10:35 pm (4 years ago)

I’m in love! So beautiful!! Can you please tell me if there is a written pattern of this lovely flowergranny?

30. Mary
    February 6, 2013 at 1:50 am (4 years ago)

Oh my goodness. I love this pattern. would you share it????

31. Ann
    February 25, 2013 at 2:47 pm (4 years ago)

I just discovered your blog recently and it’s just fabulous, as is this heartwarming granny squares afghan. Babouska Rose is a perfect name – keep the blazing colors coming at us! Aloha with hugs, Ann

32. Sewing Daisies
    February 25, 2013 at 4:04 pm (4 years ago)

Mahalo Ann for your lovely feedback. I can’t believe how well this blanket has been received…I think it might be time for another one soon.
    cheers H

33. Dawn
    March 20, 2013 at 12:04 pm (3 years ago)

This – is BEAUTIFUL! 😀 I love the colors! I appreciate that the babouska was your inspiration they are so lovely 🙂 Thank you for sharing!

34. Jeanine
    March 27, 2013 at 1:09 am (3 years ago)

Beautiful! I would love to try this. I can only see the photos of the completed project though, and not the pattern. Did you take it down? Thanks!

35. Jayne
    April 16, 2013 at 2:21 am (3 years ago)

Hi again, just wondering what you did for a border? It looks as though you sc’d around the entire thing, then did something–can’t tell what. Would you mind sharing? Thanks.

36. Sewing Daisies
    April 16, 2013 at 2:11 pm (3 years ago)

You are right Jayne, I did add extra row that I forgot to mention (doh!).
    After the single crochet row you add a single row of *sc, 3CH, sc* all around the blanket.
    Enjoy!

37. [email protected]
    April 29, 2013 at 6:16 am (3 years ago)

I would love the pattern for the rose blanket it’s adorable!!!

38. Andrea
    May 20, 2013 at 10:31 am (3 years ago)

Gorgeous blanket! It’s so beautiful and I love the colors, but like everyone else, I was hoping you could send me the pattern. I would love to try this blanket soon! Thank you and keep up the amazing work! 🙂

39. [email protected]
    May 26, 2013 at 2:11 am (3 years ago)

I love this beautiful rosé blanket, could you tell me where or if you sell the pattern I would love one? I look forward to your reply!

40. copernicus
    May 28, 2013 at 2:34 pm (3 years ago)

What a beautiful blanket. I would love to try to make this blanket. Is it possible to e-mail me the pattern?

41. [email protected]
    August 22, 2013 at 9:27 pm (3 years ago)

Gorgeous blanket!!! Gorgeous Roses!!!
    Can the pattern be bought from somewhere or found on line?

42. Suzanne
    January 31, 2015 at 8:15 am (2 years ago)

This is such a beautiful blanket. I can’t take my eyes off of it. I love it.

43. Dottie Bonner
    February 7, 2015 at 11:56 am (2 years ago)

This is so beautiful!! I don’t understand a chart so I won’t be able to make it but thanks for showing it done.

44. Heather Evans
    February 7, 2015 at 4:10 pm (2 years ago)

I started a blanket very similar to this for my daughter, when she was tiny. She is now 25 years old and will be getting married this summer. I lost my pattern decades ago, is there any chance of getting this pattern? I’d like to finish what I started, maybe for her wedding! You did a beautiful job, can’t believe you tackled it for your first blanket! Kudos!

45. Roswitha Phillips
    February 8, 2015 at 6:35 am (2 years ago)

I have those same Nesting Dolls direct from Russia.
    I can see why you chose those colors. A beautiful blanket and a great job….
    Thanks for sharing it with us.

46. Marion NolanAndrews
    March 31, 2015 at 11:30 am (1 year ago)

Can you please send me the pattern for the “nacho cushion”? So I can join the squares like you did? Thank you so much

47. Debbie
    April 13, 2015 at 9:41 pm (1 year ago)

Hi, Is this a free pattern or do you purchase it, thank you and have a good day.

48. trish
    April 18, 2015 at 1:34 am (1 year ago)

will you please send me the pattern I would appreciate it ty so much its beautiful pattern ty for sharing it an reading my message