Interweave: Rapunzel Scarf

Interweave: Rapunzel Scarf

Interweave: Rapunzel Scarf

Special issue 2011

by

Kristen Hein Strohm

is a lovely braided scarf that I finished

the other weekend.

It's also my first attempt in a long time to follow

a written crochet pattern.

I chose this particular pattern because it was the shortest &

looked the easiest.

It was.

Interweave: Rapunzel Scarf

Of course,

I still managed to mess up from the get go.

This pattern requires you to crochet five fdc strands

(138 foundation double crochet)

After the third strand,

I realised that my stands were a little on the short side.

I counted my fdc, recounted, & then again

for good measure.

There were definately 138 fdc of them (each).

Confused I went back to the pattern

(Crochet Acessories 2011 edition is available on Zinio)

to make sure the number was right.

It was.

However, there was also something about

the strands measuring 70" if the strands

weren't long enough.

What?!

I swear those extra instructions

weren't there before.

Interweave: Rapunzel Scarf

If you haven't

read any of my earlier crochet posts let me

quickly fill you in.

I taught myself to crochet from Japanese books

after failing miserably with 'written' crochet books

(aimed at children).

Four years on, I still don't know the names

for most of the basic stitches, and those I do,

well they are made up.

I thought I would give written patterns a crack this year,

because of all the cool crochet magazines

out there.

(like Interweave)

Interweave: Rapunzel Scarf

Anyway,

this pattern is incredibly simple.

I just struggled because I don't do words.

I do symbols and pictures.

So I was very grateful for the few photos that were included,

especially for the braiding section.

Five strand braid, that's just crazy.

To finish off the braid and join the two ends,

you do some sc with some lssc and ssc

(whatever they are).

480px-Blueprint_Little_Sister
Image from bioshock.wiki.com

Will I be continuing with my quest to crochet

from written patterns?

I like to think I that I will, but

I like having a snapshot of all the stitches

in my head before I start crocheting.

It's less stressful.

p.s to bulk up my yarn, I doubled up

(Grignasco is on the light side).

20 Comments on Interweave: Rapunzel Scarf

1. Fiona
    March 20, 2013 at 11:41 pm (2 years ago)

Heidi, it’s gorgeous and worth the frustration of battling with the written instructions! I’m the other way round – I prefer the words and use the diagrams only if I absolutely have to (same with knitting)

2. Sewing Daisies
    March 21, 2013 at 10:37 am (2 years ago)

Thank you Fiona! Speaking of knitting I think have found a reasonably comfortable way of knitting. Essentially it’s the continental style of knitting with some Portuguese thrown in.
    xh

3. Sharon
    March 21, 2013 at 2:34 pm (2 years ago)

Oh doubly gorgeous, not sure if I can get my rusty crochet to that standard!

4. Kate
    March 25, 2013 at 3:54 pm (2 years ago)

I think I might be able to pull this off, thanks for finding it!

5. Sewing Daisies
    March 26, 2013 at 6:18 pm (2 years ago)

Get out of here, you would be able to knock this out in an afternoon :-)

6. vallerie
    November 10, 2013 at 3:09 am (1 year ago)

I’m not sure I understand. I get that you have to create 5 FDC strands, but it looks like it is an infinity scarf. Am I wrong? How do you put all five strands together?

7. Sewing Daisies
    November 10, 2013 at 10:09 am (1 year ago)

Hi Vallerie,
    This is indeed an infinity scarf…To finish off the braid and join the two ends, you can either join the ends with some sc with some lssc and ssc – or sew them together.
    cheers H

8. Susan
    November 17, 2013 at 8:36 am (1 year ago)

This a video for the ssc. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gAqIfez0vyo
    I wasn’t sure if the lssc you aren’t sure about is the long single crochet since I don’t have the pattern. There are videos on Youtube for that as well.
    sc just stands for single crochet.
    What type of yarn did you use for this the color is beautiful?
    Consider yourself very talented for being able to read a chart and crochet, most people including myself find that frustrating as reading a pattern. I learn the easiest by watching. I learned from watching my mom who is no longer living to help me. So, I rely on videos people are kind enough to make and post.
    Can you explain your Continental and combination Portuguese knitting sometime? I’m trying to teach myself how to knit and I’m left handed knitting right handed (I crochet right handed as well) and I am all thumbs trying to knit. I just can’t seem to find a comfortable way to knit so the stitches are even and the same tension.

9. Sewing Daisies
    November 20, 2013 at 9:50 am (1 year ago)

Hi Susan, thank you so much for video!
    I am a visual learner too so videos are always appreciated.
    The yarn I used is by Grignasco Knits – Merino gold in colour 758.
    re: knitting
    After messing around trying different knitting styles, I have finally settled on standard continental for my knit stitches, and then “Norwegian” for my purls.
    xxh

10. amber
    November 24, 2013 at 1:30 pm (1 year ago)

How can I get the pattern for this I have seen others but like this one the best…I looked on zinio but cant find it. Ill even pay for it but I cant find it.

11. amber
    November 25, 2013 at 4:42 am (1 year ago)

Just wondering where I can find the pattern for this. Looked on zinio and couldnt find it there. I looked at others but I like the fullness of this one. And it would be easier just to have the exact pattern to look at. Although I am trying it going by your instructions I just have a few simple questions that a pattern would help with. Please let me know thanks.

12. [email protected]
    December 8, 2013 at 4:26 pm (1 year ago)

what size hook did you use?

13. Sewing Daisies
    December 9, 2013 at 8:31 am (1 year ago)

I used an 8mm hook. You could go up a size or two depending on your yarn. It’s worth doing a little test run beforehand.
    cheers H

14. Leslie
    December 10, 2013 at 5:07 am (1 year ago)

Beautiful scarf! It looks straight out of a catalog. Where is the link to the pattern? I would love to make a couple (for me and christmas gifts!) but the instructions are pretty vague and I have a couple of questions. The scarf looks pretty thick, did you use 2 strings of yarn at once when crocheting the strands? How much yarn did you use? If you do have the link to the pattern, please do share! I think I’ll keep checking out your page now. And btw, I’m self-taught too! Youtube was a GREAT crocheting teacher =) Best way to learn since I’m a visual learner as well!

15. Kimberly
    December 15, 2013 at 7:09 pm (1 year ago)

That is beautiful! What type of yarn and brand did you use?

16. Sewing Daisies
    December 17, 2013 at 2:01 pm (1 year ago)

Hi KImberley,
    The yarn I used is by Grignasco Knits – Merino gold in colour 758.

17. Adriene
    January 12, 2014 at 3:02 pm (1 year ago)

Did you ever get an answer about using double strands? I just finished mine and it looks very thin and narrow. BTW I also just “figured out ” how to crochet from tutorials.

18. Sewing Daisies
    January 13, 2014 at 10:12 am (1 year ago)

Hi Adriene,
    I used Grignasco Merino gold which is a very light yarn, so I doubled up. I think I could have tripled up for a hardier winter, but we get really mild winters in Sydney :-)
    cheers H

19. nia
    January 19, 2014 at 4:55 pm (1 year ago)

So how exactly did u do this scarf design? Like what was the pattern and what did you have to do? I got kind of lost in it directions above