My SEW Hip! Rustic Throw (issue 3) is now completed….but it's nothing like the one I had envisioned a week ago. I really wanted a beautiful floral display of pinks, purples and greens.
My "Rustic Throw" has the odd flower strewn across it but it's no tulip field. It isn't even in the colours I wanted or like. It's weird – I have no idea what happened.
I went to Spotlight as intended and I looked at lovely floral fabrics, but for some reason I picked up this blue/orange medley that is now my SEW Hip! Rustic Throw.
I wonder what it means?
I imagine Colour Therapists might say that I need to look at my creative output and how I communicate them or something to that effect .. but I can't help think it's about something much simpler.
I missButterscotch Angel Delight!!
How uncanny is that? My SEW Hip!Rustic Throw has all the same colours as the Butterscotch Angel Delight packaging. I need to ship in some Angel Delight…
Making the SEW Hip! Rustic Throw was as easy as I had predicted in my last post. I said it would take one day to make and it would have it I hadn't decided to deviate from the instructions.
Instead it took me one day to sew all my strips of fabric and to pin the top, fleece and bottom pieces together and it took another day to add the binding.
The SEW Hip! Rustic Throw doesn't actually ask you to add binding that was my decision (deviation no. 1). The instructions actually ask you to make the backing piece larger than the top piece so that you can fold the excess fabric over creating a natural binding effect..
I decided to take the harder option of making my own binding because I didn't think that my second-hand backing material matched or complimented the top in colour. I thought it would ruin my Butterscotch medley.
I also deviated in a few other areas. Not only did I change the binding method, I also made my Rustic Throw larger (207cm x 207cm) and I used one fabric less than instructed.
I have a limited budget for each of my 2010 SEW Hip! Challenge so I have to be smart. I calculated that by using a second hand flat sheet for the backing and only buying 3 new fabrics I would almost halve my project cost.
So that is what I did.
I also saved some money by using an old fleece blanket I found at the back of my cupboard. I think it was bought to provide extra warmth on camping trips. Now it will help to provide extra warmth on my bed in winter.
Anyway here is my not so very rustic SEW Hip! Rustic Throw…my Butterscotch Angel Delight
Please click SEW Hip! Rustic Throw for more fabric info.